Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Bruce's Thoughts--Building Ships

Being in the bishopric Bruce has the opportunity to write the message for the newsletter every once in a while. This was the October 2009 bishopric message. I just came across it again and wanted to add it to the family journal. I love the way Bruce writes. I love to see what is in his thoughts. He is an incredible example to me of service. He never complains about the extra duties that being in the bishopric requires. He is just happy to serve where needed and always has a good attitude even with those 7am Sunday meetings he has to attend!

October 2009 Bishopric Message

During a recent family scripture study, we were reading about Nephi and his efforts to enlist his brothers’ help in building a ship. Of course Nephi’s brothers were not confident in Nephi’s shipbuilding abilities, and wanted no part of this endeavor.

Nephi’s words to his brothers were powerful: “If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them... …And now, if the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot instruct me, that I should build a ship?”

With his brothers at least temporarily convinced, Nephi directed the construction of the ship, and they “did work timbers of curious workmanship.” Nephi pointed out that they did not work the timbers after the manner of men, and that they did not build the ship after the manner of men. Finally the ship was finished: “And it came to pass that after I had finished the ship, according to the word of the Lord, my brethren beheld that it was good, and that the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine, wherefore they did humble themselves again before the Lord.”

Nephi doesn’t come right out and say it, but I sense that Nephi’s brothers were more than a little surprised and quite impressed with the finished product.

I had read this story many times before, but this time I thought about it differently. What “ships” are we building, and are we working on our “ships” with the direction of the Lord, or “after the manner of men?”

The world has much advice to offer on how we should raise our families, how we should pursue our careers, what our roles should be, how we should spend our free time and even our money. Unfortunately, it’s too easy to live our lives “after the manner of men.” Our challenge is to follow Nephi’s example of faith and humility. Nephi had the faith to begin what must have been an enormous task, and the humility to continually seek the Lord’s advice and direction.

Last week we were incredibly blessed to have the opportunity to listen to the Lord’s servants during General Conference. Even if you watched all or most of the sessions, make sure to read and re-read these inspired messages in the Ensign. Surely we each have a “ship” we are building, and through his servants, the Lord is giving us direction and advice to guide us. If we exercise our faith, and turn to the Lord in humility, he will bless our efforts. And even if our efforts are flawed and less than perfect, because of our Savior’s love and mercy, if we turn to the Lord, the product of our labors can also be “exceedingly fine.”

No comments: