Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thorup Family 5K


I hope a new tradition has begun. A week ago Saturday our family participated in the 1st annual “Thorup 5K”. My mom and I had an idea that started from wanting to participate in a 5K but we couldn't find one the weekend we wanted to go--so we decided to have our own. We were so excited the idea exploded into a whole family 5K where we made our own T-Shirts and logos as well as medals and prizes for the kids at the end of the race. The shirts prove that we don't have it all together since they were suppose to read "We may not have it all together, but together we have it all!" But we left out the first "all" (how can I proof read and proof read and still keep finding errors...oh well...it was kind of funny). There were 17 people total. It was SO MUCH FUN! I loved it and hope we do it again next year. The kids rode bikes or sat in strollers, the adults walked, ran, (or in Bruce's case) wore roller blades. I was so impressed by Jonny. He fell off his bike in the first 30 seconds, so I thought that was the beginning of the end for him but after getting the hang of riding his bike on the road he did awesome! He rode the entire 5K! Autumn and Brookley were pushed along and were very good sports. We started at the Park City Resort, passed by the beautiful white barn everyone photographs, and ended at the picturesque Saint Mary’s Catholic Church. Then we went to a park to eat lunch and let the kids play on the playground. April took some great pictures that tell the story so well--I love the picture with Grandma and Grandpa and their grand kids (minus Sophia and Jack who were asleep in the car).

4 comments:

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

So fun! I need your pictures. You got some great ones on the trail.

Lynnette said...

What a great idea, I love it! It looks like you picked a really pretty spot, too.
I also loved the birthday post about Bruce. I had to laugh because I love watching those Time Life infomercials too! That's funny.

susan said...

What a great idea! Mitch wants me to run a marathon with him, maybe this would be a better way to start!

Renae said...

You Thorups always do such fun things together! What a great idea.