Motherhood--"It is what it is so you better just enjoy it". This is what my Aunt Andi told me when I was telling her that I was a tired mom and maybe having three kids was overwhelming at times because I seldom get a break anymore. But my Aunt's words hit home to me. It is what it is and I should enjoy it, after all it is my dream come true to be a mom and be able to stay home with my kids. So after talking to my aunt I got to thinking about what I could do to enjoy being a mom more. I prayed about it and came to the idea that I need to just embrace it all! Embrace the good and the bad, tired and crazy days, the messy house and endless pile of laundry. Embrace the cute little smiles and constant need for someone to be held. Embrace dirty diapers and sleepless nights. Embrace impromptu puppet shows and walks outside where my kids still love to hold my hand. Embrace the messes to clean up and the lingering bedtime routine. And especially embrace the plethora of hugs and kisses. When I did I can honestly say I had a few of the best mom days ever. Not because anything changed, except for me. I just rolled with the punches more and as I said earlier embraced it. To add to my thinking I was reading from the Book of Mormon, Mosiah chapter 24, where the people of Alma had heavy burdens placed upon them but "the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord" (vs.15). I don't think of motherhood as a great burden (really it is amazingly wonderful) but having 3 kids is a handful and especially at night sometimes overwhelming (mostly because I am exhausted and want to be the one to go to bed). The main point to all my rambling is that I love the idea of embracing motherhood! It is what it is and these are the glory days--not to be wished away. I am trying to learn to live more in the moment. And since I have done this the Lord has blessed me with a peaceful heart and extra patience and better vision to catch all the cute and precious moments of motherhood that happen every day. I am a lucky mom (albeit a tired one).
P.S. Now the trick is to remember this. Maybe I will have to reread this once in a while.
5 comments:
I love it! Hey can I quote you in the Mothers day talk I am giving on Sunday?
love ya Angie! If anyone can enjoy life to the fullest, you can!
We will all have to re-read this a time or too.
Thanks for this Angie! I've been working on figuring out how to do this too!
What a woman you are! Thanks for the reminder.
This is so true! And such a great reminder. It's so easy to get annoyed with all the little things that get beyond our control when we're mothering - but motherhood is such an incredible blessing, it's worth it. Thanks (as always) for your example!
Post a Comment