Sunday, August 17, 2008

Willow Heights Hike


Check out this happy hiker. We were inspired to go hiking as a family on Saturday. It was so much fun! I googled the web and found a new hike I have never heard of called the Willow Heights Hike in Big Cottonwood Canyon. It almost felt like a secret hike becuase it was hard to find any info on the web about where the trailhead was. It took some searching and exploring but we finally found it. For those that might want to hike it themselves it is exactly 12 miles from the start of Big Cottonwood Canyon on the north side of the road. You will see an engraved boulder like the picture below. When you know what to look for it is easy to spot. The web page I found that told about the hike said it was perfect for beginners and children. I agree, if your children are 8 years or older. It turned out great and Jonny did amazing but it is a pretty steep incline for a three year old. The whole hike is only 3/4 of a mile and the reward is a pretty hike through an aspen forest and a meadow that ends at a lake perfect for throwing rocks (Jonny's favorite part). I had many "melting my heart" moments with Jonny on the trail. He couldn't have been any cuter than he was on the hike. He stopped to look at every ant and animal hole. He talked a mile a minute and was just so excited to be hiking. Autumn did great too (perhaps a bit fussy at times because she was hungry). On the way down it was so cute how she fell asleep. I LOVE family days where we get to be together having fun. This was a great day!




4 comments:

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Awwwww... that picture of Autumn sleeping is pretty cute. I'm glad you had a fun day!

Renae said...

Oh my goodness... it never fails to amaze me how quickly kids grow up. Jonny is so big now, and Autumn is just stinking cute... like always. Your family is so cute.

Anonymous said...

The hike looks beautiful! Almost as beautiful as your family. Thanks for posting the link. We may have to try out the hike too!

Gina said...

So stinkin' cute, that Autumn. I am so in love with her smile. Good for you for just up and hiking. I love that about you. You are a go-getter no matter what it is.